Hebrews 10:35-39 – Nebuchadnezzar had men picked out from among the captives to serve the kingdom. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were three such young men.
Daniel 3 – Nebuchadnezzar built an image. Likely an image of himself. He wanted to see all people bow down and worship this image. These three young men were “caught” not bowing down to the statue.
After giving them a second chance to bow down Nebuchadnezzar threw these three fellows into the fiery furnace.
Four Things We Can Learn From These Men
- A mature faith needs mature friends. When any of these men are mentioned in the Bible, all three of them are mentioned. They stuck together and they needed each other. They were united in their steadfast faith. If you want to have a faith like Shadrach… you really need some friends like Meshac and Abednego.
- They still believed in the goodness and faithfulness of God. Mature faith doesn’t shake its fist at God and say, “You can’t put me through this!” Instead we need to accept God’s testing.
- A mature faith doesn’t make excuses. Imagine some of the excuses that these guys could have made to allow themselves the “right” to bow down and stay alive. Do we make excuses for being unfaithful? Really it makes a simple situation rather complicated.
- A mature faith leaves the outcome in God’s hands. They didn’t know for sure that God would rescue them, they believed he could, but they didn’t know that he would.
The Outcome of Their Faith
- God was lifted up and Glorified.
- Nebuchadnezzar was quite impressed!
- These three young men added another thing that they could look back on and remember that God had rescued them.
- This story also went “on the record” for all to read it and to be encouraged.