A covenant is: An agreement between two people or groups that involves a promise on the part of each to the other. (Nelson’s Bible Dictionary)
A covenant is however more than just a contract. It is setting up a relationship.
There were other covenants in scripture.
Why would God set up a covenant with a human?
God is faithful, he doesn’t need to make any promises. God is 100% true and faithful and he knows that man will mess up and man will fail.
Genesis 12:1-3 – Because you are faithful to me I will make of you a great nation. Abrahams part of the covenant was that he had to step out in faith.
The Old Testament law was a covenant between God and Israel. Many people still believe that the OT law is the covenant that God has with us.
The Covenant with Israel
This covenant with Israel includes a lot of laws.
Hebrews tells us that the Old Covenant had problems.
- It was limited in scope. It was never intended to be the final solution. – Galatians 3
- It could not give life. It didn’t change the hearts of the people. Galatians 3
- The people couldn’t keep their end of the agreement.
Luke 22:19-20, Hebrews 9 – The New Covenant was instituted at the Last Supper Jesus had with his disciples.
When Jesus died this “will” he set up took effect.
We are heirs of this new covenant. We are the beneficiary of the will and testament of Christ. What do we inherit? We inherit eternal life!
We receive eternal life because we are in the will.
Why Is This a New and Better Covenant?
- It replaces shadows with reality. Colossians 2. The reality, the substance is Christ.
- Romans 8 – It replaces externalism with heart change.
- 1 John, Philippians – It replaces insecurity with a relationship.
- It replaces covering with forgiveness.