Experience and wisdom, what we can get from years and years of doing something, is what can make the difference between success and failure. Would you rather have a pilot who has been flying for 2 years or 20 years in the case of an engine failure?
It isn’t always easy to comprehend God’s nature. God is all-wise.
Romans 11 and 16 – This morning we are talking about Gods wisdom. He is all-wise. He knows all things.
We need God’s wisdom and God is willing to share that with us.
What is Wisdom?
Wisdom is somewhat difficult to define.
It is the ability to judge correctly and to follow the best course of action, based on our knowledge and understanding. Knowledge is gained by having many experiences in life.
A wise person is one who is knowledgeable and who has been around for a long time. God knows everything and has been around forever…
Deuteronomy 29 – The choices that we make are based on the things that we know. When we ask for wisdom from God, we are asking him to reveal the things that he knows. God does reveal things to us that we need to know, He will help us to make choices.
Human wisdom exalts humans. God’s wisdom exalts God. This is the reason that many people scoff at the Bible and all things Christian. The message of the cross is a very different message than what human wisdom give us.
Solomon urged his son to search for wisdom so that when crisis comes we don’t need to fear because we have confidence in God.
Five Reasons to buy into God’s Wisdom over that of the World
1 Corinthians 1:18-31
- God’s wisdom is preeminent. God’s wisdom is above the wisdom of the world. The message of the cross is offensive to many people. We live the way of the cross, we identify with the cross. It makes no sense to the wise people of the world. The world says that this is foolishness…
- God’s wisdom is permanent. God’s wisdom is going to be there, it has and will continue to stand the test of time. Wise men come and go, they are looked up to one day and replaced the next. God is different.
- God’s wisdom is powerful. Even the foolishness of God is wiser than the wisest of men. The greatest miracle that has ever occurred is the miracle of a changed life.
- God’s wisdom is paradoxical. A paradox is something that doesn’t make sense. Why would the simple people come to Christ when the ones who were “wise” and well taught shunned him, even tried to kill him? As we sense our own inadequacy and then we look at God, we see our great need for him and for his leading and wisdom.
- Ephesians 2 – God’s wisdom is purposeful. It is there to show that we need him and that we glorify him as we receive his wisdom. Gods wisdom and mercy is shown in our lives and it brings glory to him when we follow him. We have been given an incredible gift.
What Does God’s Wisdom Mean to Us?
- Proverbs 9 – We need to begin with the fear of the Lord.
- Matthew 7 – Obedience lays the foundation for wisdom in our lives.
- Spend time in God’s will. God’s word is were he has reveled himself to us.
- Godly associations bring godly influence.
- Let God’s wisdom influence your conduct and relationships.