We don’t always understand everything and we don’t always know what God wants. There are times when we need to trust the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
We are influenced by those people and things around us that we place importance on and value. Those are the things that have an impact on us. If we value the Holy Spirit and his impact on us, we will be influenced by Him.
The worldly wisdom that was being preached in Corinth was in opposition to the cross. Paul was concerned about that.
The message of the cross strips us of pride. As we accept the power of the cross into our lives we live by his power. We daily take up our crosses and follow him.
1 Corinthians 2:1-16 – That your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
When the Holy Spirit comes into our lives it changes our perspective – our outlook on life. We used to look at life from a “natural” perspective. Hopefully we are moving towards more of a “spiritual” perspective.
Our power and direction for living can’t be coming from us. There is a greater “thing” that we need to generate that power for us.
Acts 1:8 – The power of the Holy Spirit is what should be powering our lives. It gives us the power and perspective that we need for life.
Man will ultimately become what he surrounds himself with the most in life.
What are we placing around ourselves to influence our lives? It is vital that we think about the things that we place around us.
As spiritual people and Christians we need more than just earthly influences on our lives. We need more. We need the influence of the Holy Spirit in our minds and lives.
What/who is the “natural man?” He is a natural man who does not have the Spirit of God living in him. Jude 1:19
What/who is the “spiritual person?” He is the one who has received the Holy Spirit to indwell in him. Romans 8:8-11
What/who is the “carnal Christian?” He is the one who is a “baby” Christian. 1 Corinthians 3:1-3
The natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, they are folly to him. It isn’t that this man is “messed up,” their brains understand the words, but they struggle to have a spiritual perspective on things. The reason is because they don’t value the things of the spirit. Spiritual things are “gibberish” to a natural man.
- The Holy Spirit gives us a deeper perspective on everything.
- The Spirit also brings a deeper understanding of the things that have been given us by God.
- The Spirit is also actively showing us the character of Christ. We weren’t there when Jesus walked on the earth, but the Holy Spirit can show us and remind us of the things that Jesus taught while he was here on the earth.
- The Spirit illuminates the Word.
Gaining Spiritual Perspective
- Do an evaluation of where you are spiritually. Not how you are “performing” in the outward things of “being a Christian.” Take time to sit before the Lord and consider where you are with Him.
- Give the Holy Spirit priority in your life. Welcome the relationship that the Holy Spirit provides for us. He wants to take control and lead our lives. Do we value the things of the Spirit? Are you exposing yourself to Him and his leading?
- Obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Galatians 5:22 – if we live by the Spirit let us keep in step with the Spirit.