Is God a big part of your life? What is he to you?
Can I Know God?
Isaiah 55 – God is incomprehensible, this is one of his characteristics and attributes. We are finite, this limits in our ability to understand and infinite God.
Psalm 50 – God has chosen to reveal himself. Through nature. Through the Word. Is God a cattleman? No, but he is a great God who owns everything. The entirety of the world is his.
God described. Often we understand God by recognizing comparing him to things that we can understand.
God is Spirit
John 4:23-24 – God is Spirit. A human body doesn’t limit God.
John 1:18 – God is invisible. We cannot see God with our eyes.
John 3 – When we are born again, we can relate to God on a spiritual level. Our spirits need to be made alive. God is available anywhere and anytime.
God is a Person
- God is self-aware
- God is self determined
- God is intelligent – all knowledge, all wisdom
- God is emotive – Genesis 6:5 – God experiences emotions.
God is Life
Life and God are in some ways synonymous. God is the owner of life.
God is a living God, he is the source of life. He gives life and has the authority to take it.
We gain eternal life in a relationship with God.
God is Perfect
You cannot improve God. Which is why he cannot change. Everything on the earth changes, but God never changes.
Because God is consistent and unchanging; His response to man changes to maintain that perfect position… God response to people as they respond to him. There is no shadow of turning with God. The shadow moves because we move, not because God is moving.
The Trinity – One God; three Persons
It is important that the trinity is a very difficult concept to grasp, and likely we will never have a full understanding of it on earth.
Wrong concepts about the trinity:
- The Trinity is equivalent to three Gods – This is wrong, we are not tritheists, we are monotheists – The Lord our God is one.
- The Trinity is three manifestations of God (modalism) – This is wrong, the trinity concept tells us that there are three persons. Not three manifestations.
- The Father created the Son or the Holy Spirit – This is wrong because the Son is not a created being. He is God. He has been with the Father for all of eternity.
- Christ or the Holy Spirit was a power or attribute of God – Jesus was a mere man energized by God. This is wrong as well.
John 1 – God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all distinct persons. Each person has a distinct center of consciousness.
The trinity is “One in essence. Three in person.”
Why should we know God?
- Scripture commands us to seek God. He, at the same time is seeking us.
- Knowing God better helps us to know ourselves. We become more and more like the person that we spend time thinking about.
- Eternal life is based on whether we know God or not.
- We should know God better so that we can be more like God. Stretching towards the goal of knowing Christ Jesus.
- To know God is to love God.
How can we know God?
- By faith.
- By the Word of God.
- By desire.
Who is God to you?