The main text for this sermon is Psalm 96.
A homework assignment for you. What percentage of singing referred to in the Bible is “group” singing, as opposed to “individual” singing?
- Singing is useful in teaching and admonishing one another.
- Singing together provides the music for the worship service. The Bible commands us to sing many times.
- The old and young can do it together. It can be a teaching tool for the younger.
- Good Christian singing is a good way to express our beliefs and our doctrines and teachings.
- It is also a good way to express our Christian experiences.
- It is a good means for individuals and as a congregation to be able to respond to a message or even a general response to God.
- It is valuable because it provides strength and encouragement in special times of need.
Psalm 96 talks about a new song. In the New Testament the word “new” is used for a person who is walking with God 24 times, 9 of these times it is talking about a “new song” as well.
Psalm 40 – What is a “new song” does it mean words you’ve never sung before? Does it mean a “fresh” song? From a “new heart”? Not from an old sinner but from one who has been born again and has a new heart?
If you’re singing in holiness before God, it is a beautiful thing to God. We are to worship and sing in the beauty of holiness.
Scriptures used – Psalm 96, Psalm 40, Hebrews 13:15, Psalm 27:6