God cares a great deal about holiness— if we want to please Him we must be holy. We need to remember that holiness is a process. Paul expects the Thessalonians to do better— he has hope for them. God is merciful. But it is not an excuse to not strive, as God can help us to stand and to be faithful.
I Thessalonians 3:11-13 – Christ and the Father are united in the work of directing us in fruitfulness and love, and to establish us in holiness.
I Thessalonians 4:1-8 – The Thessalonians had some real need of growth. Paul gives them (and us) a stern warning to “abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his body in sanctification and honor”. Paul urges them to have self control and to be different from the ungodly culture around them.
Paul is emphatic. We must be concerned about holiness.
Five Reasons We Must Be Concerned About Holiness
- Because it is God’s will. Perhaps it is not so trendy today, but this is a key part of God’s will for us! Our sanctification is more important to Him than finding the perfect spouse.
- Because the Lord is an avenger. If we remain unrepentant, God will hold us accountable; Even if we do, we still may have difficult consequences to deal with.
- Because “God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification.”
- Because to disregard Holiness is to disregard God
- Because to disregard holiness scorns the Holy Spirit
It is the Holy Spirit that prompts and empowers us to live as Christ lived.