Prayer is not a gift that we are born with. Rather it is a habit that is developed and learned.
Prayer is a way to humble ourselves before God, and demonstrate our faith in Him.
Mistakes in prayer:
- Not praying at all or using empty words without meaning
- Not praying according to God’s Law
- Not accepting responsibility
- Not accepting consequences for our actions
- Not accepting what God has called us to— and instead praying that He send someone else
- Praying that God bless our mistakes
- Praying out of fleshly desires
The Lord’s (or, The Disciples’) Prayer:
- Pray for the kingdom, the Church
- Pray that God’s will be done
- Pray for daily bread
- Pray for forgiveness — understanding that it’s conditioned by our own forgiveness of others
- Pray for leading away from temptation
- Pray in worship
- We come to God in prayer not because we are so special, or because we deserve anything from Him
- We must persevere in our prayer
- Prayer is important
Prayer isn’t about being happy… It’s about perseverance, and growing to be more like God.