What Happens to Christians Who Die Before Christ Returns?
1 Thessalonians 4:13-5:11 – Grief is a lot sharper when we don’t have answers for questions like this. Paul doesn’t tell the church here to stop grieving. He says that they can have hope! God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.
1 Corinthians 15:50-53 – Not only will these saints be restored to life. They will be restored, they will be changed! These changed bodies won’t just be refurbished and “as good as new.” They will be perfected.
We will “meet him in the air” – this is not a temporary reunion it is an eternal reunion. Whether awake or asleep, we can have the hope that we will “meet him in the air.”
When is Jesus Coming Back?
Paul told the Corinthians that they already knew the answer to this question… Jesus would return like a thief in the night. No man knows the day or the time. Jesus said the same thing in Matthew 24.
Be ready. The Son of Man is coming at an hour that you do not expect. Be awake, be alert, be sober, be ready.
A Few Major Attributes
- God’s plan for the second coming is an infallible plan. It is free of faults and is perfect.
- God’s plan is an unforcastable plan. We can’t forecast when it is going to happen.
- God’s plan is inescapable each of us is going to face Christ at some point.
- God’s plan is internal. “We will always be wit the Lord.”
How do We Apply this Scripture?
Paul actually tells us how we should be applying these scriptures.
- Keep our helmet of hope on. Hope can help keep us from loosing our heads!
- Romans 13:11-14 – The goal is not to come up with a way to be ready when Christ returns. The goal is to be ready now, tomorrow, always. We are to live as if Jesus’ return is imminent.
- Encourage each other with these word. Build each other up.