Sometimes our mistakes are able to be overcome.
Learning from the mistakes of others
1 Corinthians 10:6-11
Avoid evil desires
Do not be idolaters
Don’t be overly confident
Cain and Able
The Mistake of Akin
Sometimes we mistakenly assume things.
The Mistake of Moses – dealing out justice
Sometimes our mistakes cause of more embarrassment than serious trouble.
Sometimes we mistakes with words.
Jeptha – rash words
How to fail succesful
Peter – denying that he would deny Christ
Individuals and business sometimes mistakes
What we can learn from Peter
- Peter was sorry for his sin.
- We can see the danger of overconfidence – less confidence in himself and more confidence in the power of God. In just a few weeks he was preaching powerfully under the influence of the Hoy Spirit. (Examples from Acts)
- Peter didn’t give up
In contrast Judas gave up.
- Peter didn’t excuse himself – he didn’t blame others for his wrong.
What we can learn from Thomas
Thomas – doubting that Jesus was raised again.
What is outstanding about Thomas is that he came back from unbelief and started churches, we believe, in India.
How can you and I fail successfully
- Admit your wrong
- Have less confidence in yourself
- Rely on God’s power on
- Don’t become embittered by the experience
- Don’t blame others
- Learn humility
- Learn to sympathize – help them back up
- Become profitable again
- If you’ve doubted, place full confidence in the LORD.
In other words. If you learn from your mistakes and don’t repeat them -you have failed successfully.
Our Savior is the lifter up of those who fall.
Some Mistakes Have Permanent Consequences
The example of the rich farmer who built more barns.
The example of the five foolish Virginias.
There is hope. Our mistake of rejecting the Savior does not have to be permanent.
Let’s be ready to die.
Let’s be ready for the Lord’s return.
This sermon – Failing Successfully – was originally preached 2014.03.16 by Howard Bean.
This sermon is also part of a series preached at the Bethel Mennonite 2014 Youth Rally. Here is a list of all sermons in this series.
- Ten Lessons from my Youth
- Encouraging Church Loyalty
- Choosing a Life Long Companion
- Failing Successfully
- A Servant Heart