Hebrews 11:8-16 – They were seeking something beyond this life here. A better and a heavenly place. As strangers and pilgrims here on earth.
Abraham considered his life a pilgrimage.
A pilgrim is one who is traveling through a foreign land. Or a devotee traveling to a shrine or a holy place. For us as Christians this term fits well, we are all traveling through life, we are making decisions, we are traveling through a foreign land headed to a holy place.
Characteristics of Pilgrims
- Pilgrims have chosen to be pilgrims.
- Pilgrims see with spiritual eyes. Matthew 11:25
- Pilgrims know the importance of the things above. Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 2 Timothy 2
- Pilgrims recognize that the things of this world are at war with them. 1 Peter 2:11, 1 John, Ephesians 6:12
- Pilgrims aren’t traveling alone. Pilgrims travel in groups. Pilgrims also travel with their leader. Hebrews 10:22
- Pilgrims are messengers. We have message to share everywhere we go. Matthew 28:16-20
- Pilgrims have a destination. We have a hope, a home.
How grateful we should be and recognize the opportunity that God has blessed us with here on this earth. Let us not get distracted and bogged down with life here.
Let us be clear in our purpose here. We are here as pilgrims. We have a message for those around us and we have a destination.
Let us give ourselves to this calling with no reserve, no retreat, and no regrets.