Keep Thyself Pure
1 Timothy 5:21-25
There’s an all out attack on personal purity. It isn’t just what we see. The devil is at work trying to destroy spirit, soul, and body. He enjoys taking away our power to live in victory.
God’s desire for us is that we live for his glory – and some of that is living in Victory. Victory is possible. It is possible to live in peace and to have joy.
Sometimes when we are wrapped up in these things, they come subtly, and we dabble in them, and after a bit we feel helpless.
Just remember that the devil is not all-powerful. “Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.”
There is a battle going on for our souls – and the battle begins in our minds…and the devil uses all of the gates into the mind.
We must be alert and awake and on guard to keep us clean from the filth in this world. There is a lot of filth in the world – there is filth everywhere. But it is a personal choice when it contaminates us.
Personal purity is a choice – it is a personal responsibility.
Pray – v. 6
- the more we want to be pure, the harder the devil will try to attack us.
- If we go to the effort to have peace with God, we will have strength to say “no”.
- we need a vibrant prayer life to not be contaminated with the world.
What we think upon – v. 8
- Was your mind pure, just, lovely, and of good report?
What we learn – do it – v. 9
Enemies of Purity & Peace
- Pornography – writing or images intended to arouse sexual desire. Remedy:Get rid of it. Destroy it. It should not be in our possession.
- Computers/Electronics/the Web – the world at our fingertips. You can put blockers there…but you can get around that. You have to WANT to be free from it. If we really have problems in this area…we need to consider going without.
- Cellphones – now days one and the same as the above. Let’s not compromise personal purity. What I see read, etc, on my cell phone. Is it true, just, etc.
- Christian Romance – is what you read, true, just, lovely, and good report?
- Music – music can encourage purity or work against it.
- Fantasy – Continual thinking/dreaming of being with someone who does not belong to you.
Mathew 5:27, 28
- Unconfessed Sin – sin will block access to God’s throne and militates against purity.
Helps for Purity
- We belong to God – we are not our own. We owe our flesh nothing
1 Corinthians 6:19,20
- We must remember that LUST is SIN. We have no right to look at someone with desire outside of marriage.
- We are not alone – We have the power of the God-head at our disposal if we ask. We have brothers and sisters who are willing to work with us.
- Open enough & and humble enough to be accountable with someone.
- Confess and make restitution
- Fill yourself with scripture
- Reach out and help others – don’t be consecrating only on yourself.
1 Timothy 5:24, 25
Conclusion – Reminders
- Keeping yourself pure is a personal choice.
- In order to have victory over sin, we must hate it. It must be repulsive to us.
- We have no right to anyone outside of marriage.
- We owe our flesh nothing.
- Victory can be a reality if we seek help from God and others.