John 15:1-10 – We must be abiding, living, remaining in Jesus to be fruitful Christians. Abiding involves all the Christian’s life. We are to be fruitful in every area of our life. A critical part of abiding in Christ is devotional time.
One good measure of our spiritual health is our devotional life. Let’s be idealistic and think about a perfect devotions:
- Regulatory – a pattern of planned events.
- Prepare – putting away distractions / Prayer – asking God to speak to us from his word. A prepared heart.
- Enough Time
- Meaning – can only happen when we meet God through his word. We don’t know the book until we know the message. We don’t know the message until we know the messenger.
- Illumination – When the light shines on our souls and on our minds – Spiritual food received. We are learning. Wisdom, Guidance, and direction happens.
- Assimilation – when the ‘plant’ absorbs the nutrients and grows and bears fruit. Receiving and responding to new information and making it a part of our life. Digesting spiritual food.
- Supplications – laying our needs before the LORD and acknowledging how needy we are. For grace to help in time of need. For deliverance. Intercession for others, the church, for our mission.
- Delight – the joy of the LORD. Joy is a result of a prepared heart consistently meets with God.
There are rich rewards.